Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Our Own Mad Love

My older brother put Batman: The Animated Series on my portable hard drive for me. When I first got the thing, I had loft goals of backing up all my novels, putting all the Louis Theroux (the most WONDERFUL documentarian, and I'm not just saying that because I think he's sexy) on it, getting maybe one or two movies...

But no. None of that happened. I've got got this nineties children's cartoon on it. I'm trying to get all the Miyazaki films I like on it. I'm nowhere near as sophisticated as I like to pretend.

I spent a lot of time when I was growing up watching this. I remember being stretched out on the futon in front of my baby sitter's television, one or the other of her dogs stretched out next to me as I watched. What's strange is that I don't really remember any particular episodes, I just know my brother and I watched this show.

I do remember Harley Quinn, but my favorite "bad girl" of all superhero--dom. (Is that a word? Oh well. For the purposes of my blog it is now!)She's funny, she's fake ditzy, and she's really adorable. Not to mention she wears red and black, both my favorite colors.

As I was watching the show, I watched her relationship with The Joker, Batman's arch nemesis for the purpose of this show. He could have been in the comic books too, but I never read many of them, so I can't say yes or no. I know he was highly feature, so take that as you will.

I've decided that the confidence giver is my Joker. He tries to ignore me, gets upset if I'm not fawning over him, loves the attention I give him, and sometimes pretends that he doesn't need me. But if I call his bluff, it's the end of the world.

I can't decide if that's healthy or not. I can't decide if this is the greatest adventure of my life, or the worst thing I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment