Monday, January 31, 2011

Black and White

I love my Sociology class. My instructor is about a billion years old (HYPERBOLE IS THE BEST THING EVAR)and adorable as a button. He uses phrases like "noodle" and calls himself a "busy little bee". He's like a grandfather that would give you lots of candy when your mother's back was turned.

Also, he is intelligent. I dig it.

Anyway, he was talking today as a for instance and mentioned abortion.

"I'm sure most of you are anti abortion!" a handful of us shook our heads and he shrugged. "Well, for the purposes of this we'll pretend we all are." Which was fine, he was just using an example, he didn't REALLY care about our opinion.

But it got me to thinking. Yes, I am pro choice. I don't consider myself "pro abortion" though, which was the phrase he used. I mean, I'm not running around with a lubed up wire coat hanger, chasing women as they exit their OB/GYN. That's the image I get from that terminology, for reasons I can't quite explain.

Anyway...

I'm not pro abortion. I'm pro choice, which is almost equivalent to saying I'm pro minding my own goddamn business. I do acknowledge that is a particularly dangerous way to be thinking. Sometimes you SHOULDN'T mind your own business, sometimes you DO need to speak out, even if you're the only one standing.

I don't think this is one of those times. I don't get those people what murder doctors who perform abortions, because they say how precious life is. And yet they took one away. What is this, an eye for an eye? Or is he less worthy to live because he's taken away another life?

What's more, is that really for us to decide?

I don't feel like I have the right to tell another woman what she may and may not do with her uterus, her fetus, and her own guilt. I do not feel like I have the right to stroll on up to another human being, point them in the face and call them a murder because they removed what some might call a parasitic being from inside their body.

Some women do it as a form of birth control. A whole lot of women don't. Rape. Incest. Illness. A deformity in the fetus. These are all reasons that some women have abortions.

I'm not pro abortion. I'm pro allowing women the right to choose what is right for them and their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment