Monday, June 7, 2010

How Do I Feel This Good Sober?

I really dislike going to parties. I know that's one of the strangest things you can ever hear a twenty something say. Actually, let me rephrase that--

I don't like the sort of parties that people my age throw.

My parties always involve sleeping on the floor while watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force, after playing Rock Band and watching endless movies, having gorged ourselves on pizza and one another's company. My festive companions tend to wake up, dragging themselves from the room to the kitchen to sip leftover pop and munch on cold pizza.

I don't understand this whole LET'S GET WAAAAAAAAAASTED mentality that most people under the age of twenty seven seem to have. Wasted? What? Why? Why is that fun!!! You get drunk and then you either A) hit on someone early and sleep with them, typically with tragic results B) do something really stupid and get in a fight with someone, typically with tragic results C) puke, with tragic results D) pass out, with tragic results or E) get in a vehicle intoxicated, typically with tragic results, and not always tragic results that are only going to affect you.

Know what I'm seeing that's a common thread in all of this?

Tragic. Results. Tragic, tragic, TRAGIC results. And yet, once people have shaken off their hangovers, wiped the puke off their furniture, their clothes, their hair, once they've chewed their arms off to get away from that ugly person they spent last night with, or once they've woken up in someone else's bathtub---all they can think about is going out to do it again.

Wait--wait--WHAT? You were completely trashed, you have little to no memory of any of the hare brained things that you got up to last night (and not many of them are as innocent as wearing a lampshade on your head) but you want to do it AGAIN? NEXT WEEKEND?!?! And every weekend after?!?!

(I want to note here that for some of those drunk driving accident victims, there is no waking up to shake off their hang overs. For some of them, there is no waking up at all... Please, please, please if you're going to indulge in this point of excess, be responsible enough not to climb behind a wheel.)

Maybe this is because I grew up with Drunk!Dad, maybe it's because I just don't like the taste of alcohol--because no, I am not innocent. I have indulged, and while I have done dumb shit, thankfully there was no long term damage, except perhaps to my ego--but I really, really don't understand this.

But what bothers me even more is the fact that drunk people my age seem to have little to no responsibility for their own actions. They seem to believe that the sober people at the party will keep track of them, make sure they are safe, and clean up any messes that they make, simply because they are SOBER.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to a party, I go to have fun. I get paid when I baby sit. And that's not to say that I'm going to let someone drown in vomit, or I'm going to leave broken glass laying around. You better believe I'll clean that up so no one gets hurt...

But I don't want to have to do it in the first place. If you can't hold your liquor, don't drink! Or at least don't drink somewhere that you could get hurt (which is just about everywhere, unless your Sober!friend(s) have agreed to watch you). Like I've said, maybe it's just me who finds the way drunk people act so unattractive.

I understand I sound like a priss in this, but Jesus Christ, I just--I just hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment